127-2021 - APS6 Media Officer, Media and Speeches Unit
- Job number:
- Work type:
- Full-time and Part-time
- ACT, Canberra
About the Role
Treasury’s Communications Branch is looking for a dynamic, experienced Media Officer at the APS6 level. The Media and Speeches Unit is responsible for all daily media handling, monitoring and issues management. The team prepares media releases, speeches, and op-eds for Treasury portfolio ministers, ensuring a consistent style and tone. The team also manage Treasury’s media monitoring service, Streem, including advice and training. We’re looking for someone that will thrive on being in a small, fast-paced team environment and can adapt to changing and competing priorities.
What you will do
The successful candidate will be involved in:
- monitoring and managing media enquiries, writing releases, talking points and statements, confidently using media monitoring software and representing the department at events, including Budget lock-up;
- engaging with journalists, internal and external stakeholders – particularly ministerial offices and Treasury executive;
- assisting in the preparation of talking points, speeches, replies to parliamentary questions and other correspondence; and
- other duties as required.
Our ideal candidate
You will have:
- experience in issues management, PR and/or media liaison;
- strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write using plain language;
- the ability to be flexible, agile, and respond constructively to tight deadlines, change and uncertainty; and
- strong stakeholder management skills, including the ability to confidently brief and advise senior executives and ministerial media advisers.
Desirable qualifications and experience
Our ideal candidate will also have:
- tertiary qualifications in communications, marketing, journalism or a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- a willingness to work outside of normal business hours to meet deadlines and travel if required.
- a minimum 3 to 4 years relevant work experience.
Employees of the Treasury are required to be Australian citizens and must hold a current security clearance or successfully complete a clearance prior to commencement.
How to apply
Please refer to the Position Description for further information about this opportunity and how to apply.
Download the selection criteria
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back Apply now Refer a friendBack to search results