About the Roles
Treasury’s Retirement, Advice and Investment Division (RAID) is looking for talented, team-orientated, and highly motivated staff to fill a number of Analyst, Senior Analyst, and Assistant Director positions (at APS 4, APS5, APS6 and EL1 levels).
What you will do
Successful candidates in these roles may be involved in:
- conducting research and analysis and providing advice to Treasury Ministers on matters relevant to the work of a unit or project team;
- assisting in the preparation of reports, briefings to Treasury Ministers, submissions to Cabinet, speeches, replies to parliamentary questions and other correspondence;
- implementing reforms, including through drafting consultation papers, undertaking regulatory assessments, and assisting with Treasury’s Law Division to develop legislation;
- engaging with internal and external stakeholders; and
- undertaking other duties as required.
There are also a number of roles (at each of the APS 4,5,6 and EL1 levels) in the Financial Advisors Standards Unit which is responsible for winding up the existing Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority and taking on that function within Treasury, which will involve setting the education and training standards for financial advisers in Australia.
Our ideal candidates
In performing their roles, APS4, APS5 and APS6 Policy Analysts are expected to be able to:
- think critically: assess the implications of economic and policy reforms and develop cogent insights as a basis for policy advice;
- engage effectively: build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including regulators, advocacy groups, corporations and industry bodies;
- navigate strategic context: understand the policy landscape, identify opportunities and show good judgement;
- deliver results: deliver timely and high-quality outcomes that influence policy makers and effectively implement the Government’s decisions; and
- show leadership: be proactive, innovative and inclusive.
Successful Assistant Director (EL1) applicants will also need to:
- build team capability through coaching others, providing performance feedback, conflict resolution and encouraging career development
recommend strategic directions for their unit, and effectively manage competing priorities when achieving outcomes
- work collaboratively with the Director to build team capability and deliver on team outcomes
- act as the Director on occasion.
Qualifications and Experience
Ideally, we are looking for candidates with:
- tertiary qualifications for the APS4 roles
- 18 months of relevant work experience for APS5 roles
- three years’ of relevant work experience for APS6 roles
- five years of relevant work experience for the Assistant Director EL1 roles
Experience in one or more of the following will be particularly well-regarded:
- Government policy development and analysis
- Legislative development and/or implementation
- Regulatory experience
- Relevant private sector experience
Knowledge and interest in retirement incomes, the financial system and services, corporations, consumer or competition policy, related data and digital policy, relevant legal and regulatory frameworks and regulators, and knowledge of government will also be well-regarded.
Tertiary qualification(s) in a relevant field, including, but not limited to, economics, law, commerce, finance, public policy, and/or mathematics.
For the roles in Financial Advisers Standards Unit we are particularly interested in people with skills in project management, analysis and problem solving, data management, customer experience and administrative work and/or educational standards setting. Experience in the higher education system or professional standards setting is highly valued. Tertiary qualifications and experience in education, commerce, business, economics, law or financial advice are relevant and experience in the higher education system or professional standards setting will be highly regarded.
Employees of the Treasury are required to be Australian citizens and must hold a current security clearance or successfully complete a clearance prior to commencement.
How to apply
Please refer to the Position Descriptions for further information about these opportunities and how to apply.
107-2021 - Position Description- RAID.docx
107-2021 - Position Description - FASU.docx
Applicants for this process will be assessed on their written application using the Integrated Leadership System (ILS).