21-2021 - Executive Level 1, Assistant Director, Foreign Investment Division
- Job number:
- Work type:
- Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney, ACT
- Policy, Public Policy, Research
We have several Assistant Director, Compliance roles in the Compliance Branch, Foreign Investment Division. The branch uses a combination of stakeholder engagement, market intelligence, compliance assurance and enforcement methods to maintain strong compliance with Australia’s foreign investment laws.
Current opportunities are in various teams, with expected vacancies in other branches to be filled from the merit pool.
We are seeking experienced and motivated regulatory professionals to:
- undertake proactive and reactive compliance activities to assess compliance with Australia’s foreign investment laws and prevent and detect non-compliance
- lead and oversee investigations into potential non-compliance with Australia’s foreign investment laws in line with Commonwealth legislation and best practice standards
- proactively manage non-compliance using risk assessment and professional judgement, including recommending effective and proportionate responses to non-compliance, which may include early intervention strategies, administrative sanctions, enforceable undertakings and civil or criminal proceedings
- identify strategies for addressing systemic areas of non-compliance
- provide guidance and support to teams to build operational capacity through the continued development and implementation of compliance and enforcement strategies, policies and procedures
- contribute to the development and maintenance of the case management system that supports our regulatory function.
Assistant Directors in the Compliance Branch may:
- independently manage a suite of concurrent compliance in-house assurance audits, and oversee external delivery of independent, legally-mandated audits
- independently manage complex investigations and delivery of enforcement outcomes, including oversight of intelligence assessments, investigation planning, evidence gathering, legal analysis and other enforcement-related processes
- undertake regulatory risk assessments to identify priorities for compliance operational activity and evaluate outcomes of those compliance activities
- develop and implement policies, procedures and systems to support the lawful and appropriate exercise of compliance and enforcement powers
- manage or contribute to various business and process development processes, including a bespoke end-to-end foreign investment case management system
Expected vacancies in other branches could include policy, case management and data analysis sections.
Desirable Qualifications / Experience
- An ability to lead teams in high-pressure environments and apply strategic approaches to achieve goals and create a shared sense of purpose within and across teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, and oral and written communications skills including the ability to liaise and engage with internal and external parties; develop and drive strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders; and lead cross-agency collaboration to achieve compliance and enforcement outcomes.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and apply knowledge to complex commercial matters.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment; provide leadership and support to others; and show positivity and resilience to achieve objectives in challenging environments.
- Experience implementing corporate regulatory arrangements and a strong understanding of best practice approaches to compliance monitoring and enforcement.
- Proficiency in interpreting and applying legislation, administrative law principles, and regulatory frameworks to complex and specialised matters to make recommendations about approaches to compliance and enforcement.
- Experience supervising investigations, due diligence assessments, or assurance engagements from the planning phase to completion.
- Ability to draft technical documents such as statutory notices, decision rationales and/or briefs of evidence.
- Qualifications in law, finance, commerce and/or accounting.
For certain roles: understanding of relevant legislation and processes for corporate mergers and acquisitions.
Download the selection criteria
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back Apply now Refer a friendBack to search results