About The Royal Australian Mint
The Royal Australian Mint (the Mint) is a secure manufacturing facility, producing Australia’s circulating coins and a range of collector coins (numismatic coins) and bullion coins, in accordance with the Currency Act 1965. It was established in Canberra in 1965, prior to Australia’s changeover to decimal currency in 1966, and is an agency within the Commonwealth Treasury portfolio.
The Mint is committed to upholding its reputation as one of the leading producers of quality coins in the world and to achieving business excellence.
Coins are sold through an extensive online and mail order operation, a network of domestic and international coin dealers, and the Mint Shop. The Mint also produces Australian medals and awards, as well as tokens, medallions and jewellery items, and circulating and collector coins for a number of other countries.
The Mint is a major, award-winning Canberra tourist attraction providing educational and tourist services through a public gallery and shop that attracted over 355,000 local and overseas visitors in the 2018-19 financial year. It is also the custodian of Australia’s $24 million National Coin Collection.
Applications are invited from candidates who wish to be considered for appointment as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Mint.
The CEO is appointed by and reports to the Secretary to the Treasury, and is responsible for ensuring the efficient and effective management of the Mint. As the agency head of the Mint, the CEO leads a diverse staff of approximately 240 people, employed under the Public Service Act 1999.
About the Role
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO):
• Heads the Mint and is responsible for setting the Mint’s strategic and operational objectives and reaching decisions on issues affecting the Mint’s business. The CEO is supported by senior managers who oversee Quality Management Systems, Finance, Numismatic Business Line Operations, Systems Process Management, Sales & Marketing, Human Resources and Tooling, Coining & Engineering
• Ensures the Mint achieves its goal of meeting the circulating coin and collector coin needs of Australia and selected international markets
• Provides reports and advice on currency issues to the Treasury Secretary and Ministers as necessary, including as required under relevant legislation
• Represents the Mint in engagement with Ministers, domestic and international forums, and with the media.
The CEO is the accountable authority of the Mint under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 and associated legislation, and is therefore responsible for (among other things):
• Governing the Mint in a way that promotes the proper use and management of public resources consistent with Australian Government policies, the achievement of the Mint’s purposes and the financial sustainability of the Mint
• Establishing and maintaining appropriate systems relating to risk management and oversight and internal controls
• Keeping Australian Government Ministers informed.
Position requirement – attributes, experience and qualifications
The successful candidate will:
• Have proven senior leadership experience within the public sector or within industrial or manufacturing environments, including having successfully overseen the design, development and implementation of organisational risk, governance and financial management strategies
• Drive a culture of achievement, and foster a quality focus in the organisation; and use personal drive, focus and energy to enthuse others
• Draw on information and alternative viewpoints to consider innovative alternatives to resolve complex problems
• Understand Australia’s economic outlook and the role of physical currency
• Build and sustain relationships within the organisation, with the Minister's office, across the APS and with a diverse range of external stakeholders domestically and internationally.
• Tertiary qualification(s) in a relevant field will be highly regarded.
After having reviewed the selection documentation, in order to arrange an introductory conversation with the executive search firm partnering The Treasury, please contact Blayne O’Hara on 1300 565 010 or email@example.com stating reference “Royal Australian Mint – CEO”. Full insights into the role, process and application instructions will be provided upon request.