About The Treasury
The Treasury is a respected and influential central economic agency. We provide authoritative advice and analysis to the Australian Government on a broad range of economic, fiscal, structural, financial and tax policy issues. We also monitor global economic conditions to make sure Australia is well placed to respond to emerging trends.
Treasury provides some of the best opportunities in the public service. Treasury presents a challenging and rewarding career with the opportunity to contribute substantially to Government policy that affects all Australians. The Treasury’s staff are drawn from many professions representing diversity in experience and skills. We seek passionate staff who will work collaboratively to deliver the ideas and advice that will help Australia meet the challenges of the coming years.
Treasury offers attractive salaries and employer superannuation as well as a range of other benefits, including generous leave entitlements, salary packaging and a closedown period over the Christmas holiday.
The Treasury is a flexible, dynamic and diverse workplace with offices in Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
About the Role
The Treasury is seeking modelling and data analysis specialists to join our Tax Analysis Division. The successful candidates will have an enthusiasm for and be involved in developing and maintaining models and analytical frameworks to support Treasury’s policy analysis and forecasting work.
An Executive Level 2 (Modelling and Data Analysis Specialist) will undertake a range of responsibilities including:
• undertake modelling tasks independently and collaborate with other staff on complex modelling tasks;
• build the capability of staff by coaching and supporting others and be able to drive projects in their Division;
• manage the work of a team, plan and allocate resources to meet the team’s current and future work priorities;
• provide high level advice and recommendations on matters for which the team is responsible;
• make accurate judgments and appraisals of staff of the team and assist in identifying development needs;
• manage the preparation of reports, briefings, submission, speeches, replies to questions and other correspondence; and
• represent Treasury at meetings, interdepartmental committees, conferences and other forums.
Desirable Qualifications / Experience
Candidates will have experience with the relevant data, concepts and policy and the development, implementation and use of one or more of the following general modelling tools/frameworks, including:
• Time series analysis
• Panel and/or cross-sectional analysis
• Static and/or dynamic microsimulation modelling
• Experience in using and interrogating statistical languages such as SAS and R.
Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or work experience is highly desirable. Candidates would have at least five years of experience in relevant roles.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability and commitment to collaborate with staff on complex modelling tasks and communicate complex modelling results to both technical and non-technical audiences.
As a leader within the modelling divisions candidates are expected to be committed to staff development and innovation. Executive Level 2 staff will either be in unit manager or senior adviser roles, and should demonstrate their skills in leading complex technical projects, and in managing and developing specialist technical staff.