About the Australian Government Actuary
The office of the Australian Government Actuary (AGA) sits within the Australian Treasury and provides consulting actuarial services and related policy advice to the Australian Government, its Departments and Agencies.
The AGA advises over 40 government Departments and Agencies covering a diverse range of technical and policy contexts including:
• Welfare systems and the Investment Approach
• Retirement incomes & superannuation
• Military superannuation and employee benefits,
• Medical indemnity insurance,
• Life insurance,
• Higher education funding, and
• Financial reporting.
About the Role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia with five or more years’ post qualification experience.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate extensive experience delivering authoritative, insightful and practical actuarial advice to a diverse range of clients.
To be a strong contender for this role, you will:
• Have broad actuarial experience, with more than five years’ post qualification experience;
• Have well-developed consulting skills;
• Guide, direct and advance statistical techniques;
• Contribute to mortality modelling;
• Contribute to social policy modelling;
• Contribute to broader strategies and initiatives;
• Have strong conceptual and analytical skills; and
• Have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
As a successful candidate, you must be willing to:
• support and engage with the future direction of the office of the Australian Government Actuary and Treasury;
• be flexible and agile to meet immediate needs and future challenges;
• be team-orientated, have energy and determination to ensure the success of the Office;
• be able to make reasonable decisions and exercise judgment; and
• be open, accountable and of high integrity.
Desirable Qualifications / Experience
Applicants will be Fellows of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia, with five years’ post qualification experience. They will have a track record of successfully providing actuarial advice to clients. Experience in the application of advanced statistical techniques, mortality and other population statistics as well as policy evaluation and advice will be favourably regarded.