About The Treasury
The Treasury is a respected and influential central economic agency. We provide authoritative advice and analysis to the Australian Government on a broad range of economic, fiscal, structural, financial and tax policy issues. We also monitor global economic conditions to make sure Australia is well placed to respond to emerging trends.
Treasury provides some of the best opportunities in the public service. Treasury presents a challenging and rewarding career with the opportunity to contribute substantially to Government policy that affects all Australians. The Treasury’s staff are drawn from many professions representing diversity in experience and skills. We seek passionate staff who will work collaboratively to deliver the ideas and advice that will help Australia meet the challenges of the coming years.
Treasury offers attractive salaries and employer superannuation as well as a range of other benefits, including generous leave entitlements, salary packaging and a closedown period over the Christmas holiday.
The Treasury is a flexible, dynamic and diverse workplace with offices in Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
About the Law Design Office
Working closely with responsible areas in Treasury and other agencies, the Law Design Office is responsible for:
• the design, preparation and delivery of legislation for the Treasury;
• managing Treasury’s dynamic legislation program;
• obtaining legal advice concerning the development of Treasury portfolio laws;
• procuring legal services for the Treasury, including for legislative drafting services; and
• managing Treasury’s compliance with Freedom of Information and privacy laws and providing advice to decision-makers about this issues.
About the Role
The Law Design Office’s Legislation Management Unit (LMU) is responsible for the coordination and management of the Treasury legislative program. It is a fast-paced, change-oriented work environment supporting the prioritisation and delivery the Government’s legislation.
This position presents an ideal opportunity for those who are interested in furthering their expertise in relationship and project planning, and legislative and parliamentary processes.
The position of Team Lead, Legislation Coordination Team is a key role in the management and coordination of primary and subordinate legislation into Parliament and to the Federal Executive Council.
It is critical the Team Lead has strong coordination and organisational skills which allows them to manage a large, complex and changeable legislation program. The role also requires strong communication and relationship management skills as the role works closely with Treasury policy and law leads, Ministers’ Offices and external agencies of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (PM&C) and Office of Parliamentary Council.
The position would ideally suit candidates who have strong communication, relationship management, project planning and coordination skills and who would like to work in an environment where these skills are used on a daily basis to deliver the Government’s legislative program.
• Lead the Legislation Coordination Team. This team is responsible for coordination, production and approval processes for primary or subordinate legislation in preparation for introduction into Parliament or for the Federal Executive Council.
• Develop and maintain complex internal and external relationships with stakeholders, providing appropriate advice and managing the resolution of issues or complaints.
• Providing the primary point of contact for Ministerial Offices on progress of primary or subordinate legislation.
• Provide expert information and advice on aspects of legislation management and parliamentary processes.
• Develop and implement business process improvement in the coordination of legislative.
Desirable Qualifications / Experience
• experience in leading a team
• experience in managing or coordinating legislation
• understanding of legislative and parliamentary processes
• strong relationship management experience
• strong communication and negotiation skills